Twitter deletes Two tweets about Brazil’s President Bosonaro about the new crown virus

Twitter has deleted two tweets from Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, reportedly including videos of Bosonaro questioning social isolation and isolation measures aimed at slowing the spread of the new corona virus,media CNET reported. This suggests that the company has taken a tougher stance on health misinformation.

Twitter deletes Two tweets about Brazil's President Bosonaro about the new crown virus

Twitter will retain tweets from politicians who violate its rules in the public interest, but say it may draw a line under a tweet that can lead to personal injury or violence. Earlier this month, the social network expanded its definition of harm and asked users to delete tweets, including rejecting recommendations from global or local health authorities to reduce the likelihood of people exposing to COVID-19, a respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. The move comes after the social network faced criticism that it was not doing enough to slow the spread of health misinformation.

A Twitter spokesman confirmed that it had deleted a tweet from brazil’s president that had been falsely reported. “Twitter recently announced that it has expanded its rules to cover content that may violate public health information from official sources, which may make it easier for people to disseminate COVID-19,” a Twitter spokesman said in a statement. “

CNET was unable to view the video after the tweet was deleted on Sunday, but BuzzFeed News reported that the Brazilian politician also praised the treatment of the virus with the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, clinical trials are still needed to prove whether the drug is effective, but there are rumors that it may have some benefits.

“I’ve been listening to people say they want to work,” Bosonaro said in one of the deleted videos, according to BuzzFeed. He added: “Brazil can’t stop or we’ll become Venezuela.” “

BuzzFeed reported that the videos were also posted on Facebook, but were later deleted. A Facebook spokeswoman said the reason for deleting the videos was that they had mistakenly claimed chloroquine was a ubiquitous treatment. “We have removed content on Facebook and Instagram that violates our community standards and does not allow false information that could lead to personal injury,” she said. “

Last week, Twitter deleted a tweet from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro suggesting “natural beer” as a potential treatment for the new corona virus. On Friday, Twitter also deleted a tweet by Rudy Giuliani, a personal lawyer for U.S. President Donald Trump, that spread false information about the new virus and that Twitter had temporarily locked the lawyer’s account. In his tweet, Giuliani quoted Charlie Kirk, a conservative activist, who falsely claimed that “hydroxychloroquine has been shown to be 100% effective in treating COVID-19.” Giuliani did not respond to a request for comment.

Despite this, Twitter has yet to take action against all new viral disinformation posted by celebrities. Elon Musk, Tesla’s chief executive and co-founder, has tweeted that “kids are basically immune” to the new corona virus. Twitter still retains Musk’s tweet, saying it’s because Musk’s tweet wasn’t enough to be classified as fake.

Twitter deletes Two tweets about Brazil's President Bosonaro about the new crown virus