May 18 (UPI) — Yu Chengdong, chief executive of Huawei’s consumer business, said Monday that the new rules announced friday by the U.S. government to impose further bans on Huawei to address cybersecurity concerns are essentially to preserve the U.S. dominance of global technology.
“The so-called cybersecurity reason is just an excuse,” Yu said in a statement published Monday on WeChat’s friends circle. He added, “The key is that Huawei poses a threat to U.S. technological hegemony.” “
He also posted a link to an article entitled “Why should the United States block Huawei?” “
On Friday, the Commerce Department announced that it would ban any chipmaker that uses U.S. devices from supplying chips to Huawei without special approval.
The Trump administration has long claimed that Huawei is a terrible security threat. But the false allegations have long been vehemently denied by Huawei. The U.S. Commerce Department last year added Huawei to its trade control list, restricting its ability to do business with U.S. companies. And the new rules, announced by the U.S. Commerce Department on Friday, peaked in china to prevent domestic and global chipmakers from supplying Huawei and Huawei’s Haist Semiconductors.