Facebook CEO: Company sets high bar on content removal

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Tuesday that the social network has a fairly high threshold for removing content, but that the company will draw a line under a post that could cause bodily harm,media reported. Zuckerberg’s comments come as social networks struggle to deal with scams and conspiracy theories about the new corona virus.

Facebook CEO: Company sets high bar on content removal

Earlier in May, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube were all trying to control the spread of a viral video containing conspiracy theories about the new corona virus. Facebook has deleted the video after a clip from Judy Mikovits, a former medical researcher, claimed that wearing a medical mask makes people sick.

Facebook has been criticized for allowing politicians to lie in political ads and posts, but in the face of the new viral misinformation, Zuckerberg said the situation was completely different because misinformation about treatment could cause physical harm.

Even politicians post content that companies can delete if it can cause physical harm, Mr Zuckerberg said. In March, the company deleted a video of Brazilian President Bosonaro wrongly claiming that hydroxychloroquine was effective in treating new coronary pneumonia.

Facebook will keep the message if it doesn’t cause physical harm, but the fact checker will put a warning tag on it when he has seen it. In addition, Facebook is trying to get people to more accurate sources of information through an online center called the Coronary Virus Information Center.