In January, the UK listed Huawei as a “high risk supplier” and announced it would limit its 5G share to 35 per cent, while excluding it from its core network. Oliver Dowden, the UK’s secretary of digital, culture, media and sport, told a question on the British parliament’s defence committee on Tuesday that the UK would not end up using Huawei equipment, according to Bloomberg news.
In addition, he said, Samsung and NEC are suppliers they want to enter the UK market. Government officials are looking at ways to cut costs for new suppliers, such as trade, financial incentives, and so on.
Dowden also cited new U.S. rules in May that “sanction” Huawei’s chip supply at risk, affecting the company’s 5G network’s supply capacity.
In addition, Dowden said the restrictions imposed on China in January would cost about 1.5 billion pounds ($1.9 billion) and would delay network deployment by a year, while stricter rules would mean higher costs, and That British ministers and officials were considering the next steps, although no decision had been made. He also stressed that they would not hesitate to impose restrictions if national security required them, even if it would lead to higher costs.