Study finds fireworks leave harmful toxins in the air

Fireworks are a way to create color and light wonders, but studies have shown that these dazzling performances can pose health risks, according tomedia reports. A series of harmful toxins remain in the air once the bright light from fireworks goes out, a study said is said to be the first to study the effects of fireworks on human cells and animals.

Study finds fireworks leave harmful toxins in the air

The study was carried out by scientists at NYU Langone Medical Center, who looked at 14 years of air quality samples collected from across the United States. Through their analysis, the team found that toxic metals were particularly concentrated on Independence Day and New Year’s Eve in the United States.

When the metal contained in the fireworks is affected by high temperatures, the fireworks emit an amazing color, usually including lead, titanium, vanadium and copper. After learning that the material would remain in the air after the fireworks display, the team designed experiments to explore the potential effects of these substances on humans and animals.

Terry Gordon, senior author of the study, said: “Although people are exposed to these substances for a short period of time each year, they are much more toxic than the pollutants we breathe every day. “

In the lab, scientists detonated some of the fireworks that are very common in the United States. They then captured the particles released by the explosions and exposed them to the environment in which human lung cells and dozens of mice were located. The results showed that the dose was estimated to be equivalent to a pollutant inhaled by a New Yorker during a day in Manhattan.

In the process, the team observed a significant increase in oxidation, a normal healthy process in the body, but damage to cells and DNA when its activity increases. This was associated with inflammation of the lungs of mice, and Back Cuckoo fireworks were found to be the most harmful, causing 10 times as much damage to human cells as the non-toxic physiological saline control group.

“While many people are being careful to protect themselves from explosions, our findings suggest that inhaling fireworks smoke can cause long-term damage – a risk that is largely ignored,” Gordon said. “

Scientists believe they are still in the early stages of their research, and then plan to explore the effects of repeated exposure to fireworks, rather than one alone. They plan to share their findings with public health officials to raise awareness of the risks of fireworks.