Microsoft said Tuesday that it has obtained court approval to intercept hacking attacks that exploit the new crown virus outbreak to commit fraud and steal information,media reported. Earlier this month, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said Americans lost more than $77 million in fraud related to the new virus outbreak. Since the beginning of the year, more than 62,000 such incidents have been reported.
Microsoft says fraudsters are using concerns about layoffs and recessions to trick recipients by providing information that appears to have bonuses.
Tom Burt, Microsoft’s vice president of corporate, said in a blog post that one victim received an email about the “new crown virus bonus.”
When you click on a link, the victim is asked to approve access to an app. With the app, hackers can gain access to information from the victim’s Office 365 account.
Mr Porter said Microsoft could intercept certain domain names linked to the attacks after a ruling in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. However, users still need to be alert to these fraudulent messages and enable two-factor authentication in their e-mail accounts.
Microsoft often discusses efforts to block information security crimes, including foreign-related security attacks. Microsoft said in April that the new crown virus had little impact on the company’s first-quarter results.