The White House has hinted at a timetable for action against TikTok, a popular social video app owned by Chinese internet company Byte Dance,media The Verge reported. Last week, Mike Pompeo, the US secretary of state, said the Trump administration would “definitely consider” banning the app, and on Wednesday White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said the move could come within weeks.
“There are a number of government officials who are looking into the national security risks involved in TikTok, as well as WeChat and other applications that may expose national security, especially when it comes to foreign adversaries collecting information about U.S. citizens,” Meadows told reporters. “I don’t think there’s any self-imposed deadline for action, but I think we’re looking for a few weeks, not months.”
TikTok denies that it poses a security risk. The company has previously appointed Kevin Mayer, a former Disney executive, as TikTok’s global chief executive. “TikTok is led by a U.S. CEO with hundreds of employees and key leaders in the U.S., covering security, products and public policy,” the company said in response to Pompeo’s comments. “We don’t have a higher priority than promoting a safe and secure application experience for users. We have never provided user data to the government, and we would not do so if asked. “