On August 2nd, local time, Vanessa Pappas, General Manager of TikTok USA, said on Twitter that TikTok would operate in the United States for a long time and was “not going anywhere” and planned to create more jobs in the United States. On Friday, Mr. Trump announced that he would ban TikTok’s U.S. operations, following news that Microsoft or another company would take over TikTok’s U.S. operations. Byte Dance has agreed to sell TikTok’s U.S. operations altogether.
Byte Dance had previously tried to retain a minority stake in TikTok’s US operations, but the White House refused.
The latest news is that Byte Dance will exit completely and Microsoft will take over TikTok’s U.S. operations. But the proposal was suspended because of Trump’s opposition.
According tomedia reports, Byte Dance’s talks with Microsoft are not over, but the two companies are trying to clarify the White House’s position.
But according to TikTok’s official response, there are still long-term plans to operate in the United States. “We’ve heard your support, and we want to say thank you, and we’re not going anywhere,” said TikTok’s U.S. general manager. “
She added that TikTok already has 1,500 employees in the U.S. and plans to hire another 10,000 over the next three years, along with a $1 billion fund to support creators who share videos on the platform.
Responding to Mr. Trump’s earlier claim that TikTok would disclose Americans’ privacy to the Chinese government, Mr. Pappas said, “We’re developing the most secure app in terms of security because we know that’s the right thing to do.” “
Pappas urged users to continue to share their voices and continue to support TikTok.