As early as 2015, a Harvard University study warned that the regular use of a special flavoring in e-cigarettes was linked to a disease called popcorn lung, a lung disease caused by workers working in popcorn plants, according to slash Gear, amedia outlet. And now Canadian health officials have revealed that popcorn lung symptoms have been detected for the first time in a smoker.
According to a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, a 17-year-old Canadian boy was diagnosed with “popcorn lung”, which is linked to his use of taste and THC e-cigarettes. “Popcorn lung” is officially known as closed bronchitis, is an inflammatory disease that affects the small airways of the lungs called the thin bronchial.
The disease was first discovered by workers working in a popcorn factory. It is associated with vapor respiration in heated butter seasonings used in processed popcorn products. Although “butter” is not the flavor that e-cigarette users are after, the flavor itself is a popular additive in many e-cigarettes, adding a richer flavor to other flavors, especially those associated with snacks such as “donuts” or “cakes”. ‘
Although the researchers were unsure whether the popcorn lung was directly caused by smoking, the study noted that the teen was healthy before the onset of the disease and did not seem to have any other type of exposure that might have triggered the condition.
The teenager reported that he smoked every day for five months, citing flavors such as marshmallows and green apples. The boy reported symptoms such as breathing problems, severe coughing, nausea and general discomfort. Health officials assessed the teenager to determine if he needed a lung transplant, but eventually pulled him out of a ventilator that assisted his breath. He was eventually sent home after 47 days in hospital.
This symptom is significantly different from evaLI, which refers to lung diseases associated with e-cigarette use. The U.S. CDC and FDA believe a compound called vitamin E acetate may be responsible for the disease, which has killed dozens of people.