Remember the emergency alert issued by the Texas Environmental Quality Commission at the end of September? At the time, residents of Lake Jackson, Texas, were warned not to use tap water, and “brain-eating bugs” may have been found in the state’s Brazosport Water Authority’s water system. According to the latestmedia reports, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that “brain-eating insects” are further into the United States, and since 2010 observed statistics show that “brain-eating insects” in the United States has a significant northward trend.
Climate change may be a contributing factor, and rising temperatures may encourage the creature to move to areas that would otherwise be detrimental to its survival.
It is reported that the so-called “brain worm” is a parasite called “Naegleria Fowleri”. This single-celled creature often lives in warm freshwater systems, such as lakes and rivers.
After infection, the parasite goes down a person’s nose all the way to the brain, causing primary amiba meningitis (PAM) and directly causing epilepsy, headaches, personality changes and confusion.
Although there are fewer confirmed cases, the risks posed by “brain-eating bugs” are significant. Once diagnosed with infection caused by the invasion of “brain-eating insects”, it can be treated initially but not for long periods of time, with a mortality rate of more than 95%.
According to previous CDC data, only four of the 145 known confirmed cases in the United States have been detected since the 1960s. There have been at least two deaths from the parasite in the United States in recent months.
Experts advise people not to let water flow to their noses while washing or bathing. The bathtub and shower tap should be turned on for five minutes before use. If water is used for sinus rinsing, bring it to the boil, cool or distill it.