Although smartphones have become an indispensable device for people’s lives, many studies have shown the potential for smartphones to reduce people’s sleep, productivity, and mental health. So Brad Ridout, a psychologist at the University of Sydney, explains how modern people can cope with the stress of smartphones.
Cortisol is secreted under stressed conditions, which raises blood sugar levels, suppresses the immune system, and keeps the body vigilant. Therefore, a high cortisol level is effective for quick physical threats, but not much for continuous psychological stress. As people began to wear smartphones all the time, it was possible that e-mails and important communications from work would be sent 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When the body perceives this condition as stress, it causes a chronic increase in cortisol levels, which increases the risk of health problems such as obesity and high blood pressure, as well as strokes in heart attacks. At the time of writing, it is not clear what role smartphones play in the day-long increase in cortisol levels. Still, it’s true that many people are stressed by their smartphones, and Ridout argues that actions such as checking emails in the middle of the night or early in the morning can increase stress.
many people are feeling stress caused by smartphones, SNS and smartphone games are made to accurately stimulate people’s reward system, so it is difficult to actually cut off smartphones. More than half of the 35-year-olds have a habit of checking their smartphones when they enter the toilet. Even if a smartphone is a source of stress, rididosaid that suddenly cutting off the use of a smartphone can be stressful. In addition, smartphones are necessary to maintain work and relationships, and it is not practical to throw away your smartphone. Therefore, it can be said that it is necessary to keep a moderation and to associate while being careful not to become addicted to the smartphone.
Ridout suggests the following seven “tips for using your smartphone healthier and reducing stress”.
- 1: In the “screen time” installed in iOS to monitor the usage time of the app, it is possible to grasp how much time you are spending on the app on your smartphone, You can check how much you use your smartphone on a regular basis and try not to use it too much. Similar apps exist on Android, so Android users can use this method.
- 2: To greatly reduce the notification of the app Except for only one app that “this is indispensable”, by turning off the notification of all apps, it is also recommended to reduce the frequency of seeing the smartphone. It is also useful to turn off app notifications by separating the time by saying, “Turn off notifications at 21 to 7 o’clock of the day” to keep your mind healthy.
- 3: Turn off email push notifications By turning off the push notification of the email as well as the tip on, Ridout recommends that you check the new mail only when you open the mail app. Smartphone notifications may be useful, but notifications sent by users when they didn’t intend to do so have a negative impact on their mental health.
- 4: If you use SNS to organize such as followers of SNS, it is the one that the number of people to follow and connect with time becomes very large. However, there are cases where people continue to connect with people such as “If you think about it, you are not interested in this person’s recent situation at all” or “I don’t know who you are in the first place,” so it is recommended that you organize these connections regularly. Unregistering unnecessary stores and internet services will also reduce the burden on the digital society.
- 5: When you are in the house to make a “place that does not bring digital devices” in the house, you tend to bring your smartphone or tablet to the toilet or bathroom and use the Internet and apps. To avoid this, Ridout decides not to bring a smartphone to a particular location, such as a bathroom or bedroom, and insists that you should not see your smartphone while relaxing.
- 6: “Time to ban the use of digital devices” From night to morning, it is also useful to maintain mental health by setting up a time zone that does not use digital devices, including smartphones. Instead of avoiding touching your smartphone after you get into bed and reaching for your smartphone first thing in the morning and checking social media notifications, you should start the day with a short meditation, exercise, or a relaxed breakfast.
- 7: People who are aware of how often they touch their smartphones are touching their smartphones without being conscious of them one by one in their daily lives, but once they try to be firmly aware of them, You’ll notice how often you touch your smartphone. When you realize that you have reached out to your smartphone now, before you touch your smartphone and get a lot of information, you might ask yourself, “Why did You reach for your smartphone?” Mr. Ridout recommends that you think about it and calm your mind with a short meditation. By having a habit of doing this, you can use your smartphone as a notification check tool for SNS, but a clue to grasp your own condition.