The Washington Post reported that Lyft, an online ride platform, was struck by more than 20 female passengers in California after the company failed to meet its obligation to conduct careful screening of drivers, resulting in violence and sexual assault. The lawsuit was filed Wednesday by lawyers in San Francisco Superior Court after they filed a lawsuit on behalf of 14 other women in September accusing Lyft of letting the well-known “sexual predator” go on a long-term run in the states without taking any action.
(Pictured: Google Play)
“No one should have to put up with the situation described by women in the lawsuit, and women face a disproportionate security risk,” Lyft spokeswoman Alexandra LaManna said in a statement.
The company is aware of these risks and will continue to integrate safety into every aspect of its work. This means constantly investing in new features and introducing new policies to protect passengers and drivers.
Lyft announced a number of safety policy changes in response to the review sits mentioned in the lawsuit. This includes the integration of a one-click alarm in the app, allowing passengers to report incidents directly to the authorities.
In addition to highlighting the driver’s license plate number, as well as the location of passengers and vehicles, Lyft has also introduced courses to prevent sexual harassment by drivers to make such information easier to make available to authorities.
The Washington Post previously reported that nearly a dozen women felt Lyft’s response to sexual harassment and misconduct on the platform was inadequate to address the victim’s perspective.
Lyft then introduced a new standardized decision to determine how to respond to serious allegations of misconduct on the platform, reducing the risk of trust and reliance on security experts for decision-making
Lyft spokeswoman Alexandra LaManna said at the time that the new structure was designed to eliminate bias in critical safety decisions while reducing the rate of fatal injuries to drivers.