Gradually replacing some Huawei devices, Australia Vodafone and Nokia sign 5G agreement

Vodafone, Australia’s third-largest operator, has had a tough year after following the US ban on Huawei last year, culminating in its decision to partner with Nokia to put plans for the deployment of 5G on the agenda. Hutchison Australia announced on December 30 that it had signed a five-year deal with Nokia to launch 5G services in Australia in the first half of 2020, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

At the same time, they will gradually replace some of the network’s Huawei devices.

Gradually replacing some Huawei devices, Australia Vodafone and Nokia sign 5G agreement

Screenshot of the Sydney Morning Herald report

In a statement, Hutchison Australia announced that vodafone Hutchison Australia, a 50 per cent joint venture with Vodafone, would launch 5G services in the first half of 2020, with Nokia as its supplier, Reuters reported.

“They (Nokia) provide a compelling roadmap that aligns with our 5G goals and will help us continue to improve our 4G network for our customers,” said Inaki Berroeta, Vodafone’s chief executive.

Mr Belota said the 5G network would be completed in 2020, when the Australian suburb of Parramatta would be the first city to cover the 5G network.

Vodafone, which owns 5G devices in Parramatta, has been testing the new network with Nokia before the formal agreement is signed, the report said.

“We will start rolling out these services early next year and will start offering 5G services to our customers in the first half of 2020,” Mr. Belota added. He said there would be no “cross-system” between Nokia and Huawei on sites to be installed at 5G.

“The deployment of 5G will be based on our higher demand for capacity and speed, mainly in big cities . . . And in the process of achieving 5G, we will gradually replace Huawei devices with Nokia’s.”

In addition, Belota lamented, “Obviously, we were leading the way in launching 5G services, but the government’s ban on China has undoubtedly slowed us down by 12 months.” We have to catch up.”

In August last year, the Australian government banned Chinese suppliers such as Huawei ZTE from providing 5G network construction equipment locally, citing “security threats”. For years, Australian telecoms operators Optus, Vodafone and TPG have been using Huawei devices.

In response to the ban, Huawei responded that the Australian government had used security as a pretext for political reasons, ignoring the interests of the Australian people, leaving Australian businesses and consumers with slow and expensive internet connections, and that the government’s wrong decisions were borne by businesses and consumers.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *