The FBI has reportedly asked Apple to help unlock two iPhones that may belong to Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, a suspect in the gunman who killed three people in a shooting at a Florida naval base last month. In a letter sent to Apple’s general counsel on Monday, the FBI said it had obtained court permission to search the phones, but investigators have so far been unable to guess the password, according to NBC News.
Apple has been at odds with the FBI in the past over unlocking devices. Back in 2016, Apple fought a legal battle between security and privacy by resisting an FBI attempt to force the company to unlock iPhones used by terrorists. However, the FBI eventually used a third party to unlock the phone. Another case involving a drug dealer in New York in 2016 ended in a similar fashion.
In a statement to NBC News, Apple said: “When the FBI asked us a month ago for information about this case, we turned over all the data to the FBI. According to NBC News, the FBI is also seeking contacts from other federal agencies, experts from other countries and familiar third-party vendors to help unlock Mohamed Said Alsamlani’s iPhone. The FBI declined to comment on the report.