Kuwait’s state news agency KUNA said Wednesday that its Twitter account had been hacked and used to spread false information about the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the country,media Outlet The Verge reported. According to Reuters, the now-deleted report states that Kuwait’s defense minister has received a letter from the United States stating that U.S. troops in Kuwait will leave the country within three days.
In a follow-up tweet, the news agency said it “absolutely denied” reports posted on its social media accounts, which is being investigated by Kuwait’s Ministry of Information.
After the killing of Iranian General Suleimani, news broke that the United States had sent a letter suggesting that the country would leave Iraq, but Pentagon officials were quick to clarify that the document was a draft letter sent incorrectly.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the hacking.