Yemen cut off from submarine fiber-optic cable

Internet access to Yemen and its 28 million citizens has been largely cut off since an undersea cable was cut off. The disruption of the submarine fiber-optic cable, known as Falcon, has severely affected the entire Red Sea region, with slow or no speed. In addition to Yemen, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the Sudan and Ethiopia, and even Comoros and Tanzania, have been affected.

Yemen cut off from submarine fiber-optic cable

Infographic

Most countries are not offline because they can switch to other fiber optic cable sniss. For Yemen, Falcon provides 80 percent of its network capacity, and the remaining 20 percent fail because of congestion. The network is usually cut off for political reasons, such as Iran and Kashmir, but there is no indication that the situation is similar in Yemen, where the accident is likely to have been accidentally damaged by an anchor, despite its civil war. Because of the civil war, different regions are controlled by different organizations, and the repair of fiber-optic cables is somewhat difficult.