In order to effectively respond to the recent outbreak of new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection with pneumonia and enhance the ability to prevent and control new infectious diseases, the National Natural Science Foundation of China has launched a special project to support the research personnel of the dependent units with relevant biosecurity research conditions, Closely focus on the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection of the pathogen, epidemiology, pathogenesis, disease prevention and control and other major scientific issues, to carry out basic, forward-looking joint research.
This special project encourages cross-disciplines to solve key scientific problems with the new scientific research paradigm system, thus providing theoretical and technical support for the prevention and control of new coronavirus infections and new outbreaks of infectious diseases.
I. Direction of research to be funded
(1) The structure, function, key targets and mechanism sorority of infection, and the study of the differences between different coronaviruses.
(ii) The traceability, variation and evolution of new coronaviruses, as well as the re-understanding of new technologies and the Koch hypothesis.
(iii) The susceptibility of people with new coronary virus infection and the prevalence of disease.
(4) The occurrence, development and transfer mechanism of new coronavirus infection, as well as basic research on the prevention and control of severe treatment and hospital infection.
(v) Basic research on the emergency vaccine of coronavirus and the general vaccine.
Second, the subsidy scheme
The period of funding for this special project is 2 years, and the research period in the application should be filled in as follows: March 15, 2020 – March 14, 2022, with a direct cost funding intensity of about 1.5 million yuan/item. It is proposed to fund about 20 projects on merit for the above research direction.
Third, application requirements and precautions
(1) Conditions of application
Applicants for this special project should have the following conditions:
1. Experience of undertaking basic research topics;
2. Have senior professional and technical positions (titles).
Postdoctoral researchers at the station, those who are studying for a postgraduate degree, and who have no work unit or whose unit is not a dependent unit may not apply as applicants.
(2) The provisions for limited applications
1. This special project does not include the scope of applying for and assuming the total number of 2 items for senior professional and technical posts (titles).
2. Applicants and major participants can only apply for and participate in the application of 1 special project at the same time.
3. In the same year, the applicant can only apply for a research project in a special project.
(3) Precautions for application
1. This special project requires adhering to problem-oriented, strengthening demand traction, paying attention to cross-integration, encouraging joint applications by institutions of higher learning and research institutes, and proposing research topics with innovative ideas.
2. The submission time of the electronic application shall be from February 3 to February 6, 2020 at 16:00, and the paper application shall be sent by courier by 16 pm on February 13, 2020 (subject to the postmark date), and the application item sought shall not be accepted in accordance with the relevant request. The number of cooperative research units shall not exceed 2.
3. Before filing an application, the applicant should carefully read the relevant contents of the application in this project guide and the 2020 National Natural Science Foundation Project Guide, and the application project that does not meet the relevant requirements of the project guide will not be funded.
4. The applicant shall determine the content of the study in accordance with the direction of the proposed funded research published in this project guide. The new coronavirus belongs to the national definition of “highly pathogenic pathogenic microorganisms”, the applicant and the relying units must strictly abide by the relevant regulations, in the corresponding safety conditions before applying. The applicant’s dependent unit and the cooperative research unit are required to provide the project research does not pose a biosecurity risk supporting materials, and the application for the project not to provide the relevant biosafety certification materials will not be accepted. Biomedical research involving human beings must strictly comply with the relevant provisions of the State and relevant ministries on “ethics and biosecurity”, and the applicant must provide a paper examination certificate of the employer or the ethics committee of the superior authority, which shall be submitted as an attachment to the application (electronic application shall be accompanied by a scanned copy). In case of research on human genetic resources, applicants and relying units shall strictly abide by the relevant provisions of the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on the Administration of Human Genetic Resources, which came into effect on July 1, 2019.
5. Please log in to the Science Fund Network Information System https://isisn.nsfc.gov.cn (applicants without a system account please apply to the relying unit fund management contact to apply for an account), and write the application in accordance with the draft outline and related requirements. Application code 1 Select the application code for Microbiology (C01), Medical Pathogen Stos (H19) or Preventive Medicine (H26); Applications for projects that are not selected or selected above will not be accepted.
6. The applicant shall, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Measures for the Administration of Funds for Projects funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, and the specific requirements of the Statement on the Budget of The National Natural Science Foundation of China,” carefully prepare the Budget Table for The Project Funds of the National Natural Science Foundation of China in accordance with the basic principles of “objective relevance, policy compliance and economic rationality”. 》。
7. After the applicant has completed the application, submit the electronic application and attachment materials online, download and print the final PDF version of the application, and ensure that the paper application is consistent with the contents of the electronic application. The applicant shall submit the original paper application after signature and the original paper materials requested to be submitted in a timely manner.
8. Relying on the unit shall examine the authenticity and completeness of the application materials submitted by the applicant of the unit, and submit the application materials to the National Natural Science Foundation of China within the prescribed time. The specific requirements are as follows:
(1) The relying unit shall, before the deadline for electronic applications (February 6, 2020, at 16:00), confirm the submission of the electronic application and annex materials of the unit through the scientific fund network information system on a case-by-case basis, And on February 13, 2020 at 16:00 (subject to the postmark date) before the unified submission of the original paper application after the signature of the unit (one copy) and the paper attachment materials required to be submitted.
(2) When submitting paper application materials, it is also important to provide a letter of commitment to scientific research integrity of the relying unit (which can be downloaded in the information system) and the application item list, which is incomplete and not received.
(3) Paper application materials can be directly delivered or mailed to the NSFC project materialreceiving group (address: Beijing Haidian District, 83 Shuangqing Road, room 101, zip code 100085, tel: 010-62328591). If you use mail, please mail by courier before the project application deadline (whichever is the date of the postmark) to avoid delaying the application.
9. This special project consulting contact information
(1) Application code 1 is the application code belonging to Microbiology (C01)
Life Sciences Department of The National Natural Science Foundation of China
Contact: Du Quansheng
(2) Application code 1 is the application code belonging to the medical pathogen organism and infection (H19)
Department of Medical Sciences, NSFC
Contact: Li Enzhong
(3) Application code 1 is the application code of preventive medicine (H26)
Department of Medical Sciences, NSFC
Contact: Zhang Cai
January 22, 2020