6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

Some parasitic infections are deadly, while others are annoying. Regardless of the severity of the infection, the parasitealways always seem to make us sick. Essentially, parasites can refer to any organism that depends on other organisms for survival, and they need to get nutrients from their hosts. Next, let’s take a look at some of the most bizarre parasitic infections reported in 2019.

Presumably, she may have been infected with a large sucking nematode when she hit a large group of flies while running

Eye parasites

A woman in California was unlucky to have contracted an eye parasite while running. The 68-year-old woman is the second known infection of the parasite, according to a report on the case published on October 22, 2019 in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. Typically, the parasite mainly infects cows.

The woman found her right eye inflamed after running in carmel Valley, California. She was washing her eyes with tap water and found a bug coming out.

The final diagnosis revealed that the woman had contracted an eye parasite called the big mouth-sucking nematode (the lazia gulosa). The nematodes usually infect cattle and are spread through certain fly species. It is not clear how the woman was infected, but it is speculated that she may have been infected when she hit a large group of flies while running. The doctor eventually removed a total of four large mouth-sucking nematodes from her eyes. For several weeks, she regularly flushed her eyes until the parasites were removed.

6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

Pork aphid larvae can roam around the body, including the brain, where they form cysts

The aphids in the brain

Does it sound terrible to imagine a tick lurking in your brain? But for a woman in New York, she was actually relieved to learn of the brain parasite.

At first, the 42-year-old woman was told she might have a malignant brain tumor, a diagnosis that could ruin her future life. However, when doctors underwent brain surgery, they found a huge surprise: they saw not the soft tissue of a typical brain tumor, but something more like a stone or an egg. Even more shocking is the fact that a small aphid has emerged from the “egg”.

The woman was diagnosed with “pork aphid cyst brain disease” (also known as pig cystic disease, neurocystic disease), a parasitic disease caused by eating food or water containing pork aphid eggs. When the eggs hatch, the larvae can roam around the body, including the brain, where they form cysts. It is unclear how the woman was infected, and similar cases are rare in the United States. Fortunately, once the cyst was removed, she didn’t need any treatment.

6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

A British woman has been diagnosed with echidna keratitis, a rare infection of the eye parasite. Above, the woman’s infected eyes. The green part is a special dye used to detect damage to cornea

Infection due to contact lenses

Wearing contact lenses in the bath may seem like no big deal, but the habit can have serious consequences, putting the wearer at risk of eye infection stoking and even causing blindness.

Two cases in 2019 highlight this risk. The first patient, a 41-year-old woman, was wearing disposable contact lenses while swimming and bathing, and later developed blurred vision, sore eyes and light sensitivity in her left eye. During an eye exam, the doctor saw a cloud in her cornea (a transparent film in the outer layer of the eye). Samples taken from her eye were tested and found to be positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare corneal parasite infection.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the parasite is an amoeba amoeba that is commonly found in water, soil and air. People who wear contact lenses are at risk of infection if they engage in certain activities, such as washing contact lenses with tap water, or swimming or bathing with contact lenses.

According to a report published July 17, 2019 in the New England Journal of Medicine, the woman was left with permanent vision loss despite her treatment.

In a similar case, a British man claimed to have contracted echidna keratitis while showering with contact lenses, which eventually resulted in blindness in one eye. “If I had known it was so dangerous to bathe with contact lenses, I wouldn’t have worn them in the first place, ” he says. “

6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

Guangzhou tube round nematode spawns rodents in their pulmonary arteries, through trachea, esophagus, and eventually excreted through feces.

Rat lung nematode

Some Hawaiian tourists take home more than just bronzed skin. In 2019, several visitors to the island of Hawaii were infected with a parasite called sage-lungworm.

According to the Hawaii Department of Health, both tourists, both residents of the continental United States, contracted sageoviruses after visiting Hawaii in January and February 2019, though the two cases were not linked. In another case, a tourist was infected by eating a mole in late December 2018, although the case was not confirmed until 2019.

Rat lung worms, also known as Guangzhou tube round nematodes (study: Angiostrongylus cantonensis), infect rodents, lay eggs in their pulmonary arteries, pass through the trachea, esophagus, and eventually excrete through feces.

Molluscs (e.g. snails, moths, etc.) ingest the first stage larvae of Guangzhou tube round nematodes, which develop into third-stage larvae in their bodies. The parasite can also be infected if humans eat raw or undercooked snails or crickets, or contaminated food.

In the human body, larvae of Guangzhou tube round nematodes can enter the brain and cause meningitis, an infection that covers the meninges and spinal cord membranes. There is no specific treatment for Guangzhou tube cymatodes, and these parasites no longer develop when they enter the brain, and will eventually die in the human body because they cannot grow or reproduce.

6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

Infections of “brain-eating” amoeba are rare, but often fatal when they occur

Brain-eating amoeba

This “brain-eating” amoeba infection is rare, but can often be fatal if it occurs. In 2019, the death of a man in North Carolina made headlines after the death of a man.

In July 2019, the 59-year-old fell ill after visiting DreamLake Park, an artificial lake in the southeastern part of the state. His Fuchs negri amoeba test positive. It is a single-celled organism that naturally exists in warm fresh water, such as lakes and rivers.

Swallowing the amoeba in water does not cause infection, but if water containing the parasite enters the nose, it can enter the brain and cause life-threatening life. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the amoeba bacteria can damage brain tissue, causing swelling of the brain, which is often difficult for infected people to survive.

Nevertheless, this parasitic infection is extremely rare. From 1962 to 2018, only 145 cases of Fuchs negri amoeba were reported in the United States. However, the fatality rate of the disease is very high, and only four of these cases survive.

6 amazing cases of parasitic infections in 2019

A British woman was infected with a fly larvae on her forehead while visiting Uganda. The image above shows the larvae breathing mouth near the line of her hair, and the surrounding area is already red and swollen

Larvae on the forehead

Fly larvae can grow in some unusual places, including the human forehead. This is the experience of a British woman who visited Uganda and unwittingly left the country with fly larvae.

When she returned home, the 55-year-old found a swollen bag on her forehead. At first, doctors thought the lump was a bacterial infection after the bite, but even with antibiotics, the lump continued to grow. A paper published in the British Medical Journal Case Report on January 22, 2019 showed that doctors later found a small crack in her forehead and identified it as a breathing hole in the fly larvae.

The woman was diagnosed with Cordylobia Rodhaini. The fly, which lives in the African rainforest, can infect human skin, usually in the chest, back, stomach or thighs.

The woman may have been infected while wrapping her hair with a towel hanging outside, and the larvae on the towel entered her forehead. Later, the doctor succeeded in removing the larvae from the woman’s forehead.