At a news conference earlier in the evening (February 26, local time), U.S. President Donald Trump appointed Vice President Mike Pence to lead the U.S. response to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak that has spread to Europe, Asia and Latin America,media reported. So far, the virus has infected about 81,000 people worldwide, killed 3,000 people, and has had a serious impact on the global economy.
In response, the CDC issued a warning on February 25th local time that the United States would probably not be able to avoid the outbreak.
“It’s not a question of whether it’s going to happen, it’s about how many people in this country will get this serious disease,” Messonier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a news conference organized by the CDC. (It) can have a huge impact on everyday life.”
On the evening of February 26, local time, California reported its first case of community-borne transmission confirmed by the CDC. In this case, the infected person has not been exposed to any known viral infection stort or has been to a country where the virus is transmitted.
In addition to Vice President Pence, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci, CDC Deputy Chief Executive Anne Schuchat and the president have all stressed that the U.S. government is very, very prepared for the disease.
Pence also said the White House will continue to work closely with state and local officials, send more personnel and work with Congress to ensure the necessary resources. But Pence said: “The threat to the American public is still low.