The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, owned by Seema Agarwal in Bangalore, India, caught fire without a power plug, and Seema Agarwal, 52, said she did not want to use her phone again, according to Bangalore Mirror. Seema Agarwal says her Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has never been opened or repaired. The daughter of Seema Agarwal said the incident had left her mother so anxious that she was considering giving up her mobile phone.
The smartphone, which was purchased on December 28, 2016, became hot at around 8pm in late December 2019, so Seema Agarwal went out and put the device on the porch, only for the smartphone to catch fire for 15 seconds. Seema Agarwal claims to have used only the original Samsung charger and USB charging cable since the device was purchased.
In addition to alerting the police, the owner of the Galaxy S7 contacted Samsung, but Samsung said: “According to the investigation, it was found that the cause of the damage to the phone/battery was not samsung product quality, but that some external fire/heat source damaged the phone and further damaged the battery.” In response, Seema Agarwal’s family said they are now planning to sue Samsung.
Samsung has previously phased out the entire Galaxy Note 7 series because the battery overheating could cause a fire. However, the Galaxy S7 series has not confirmed a similar issue.